Wednesday, August 05, 2009

really wordy wednesday....

nearly not quite ...wordless wednesday
This picture was taken when Emma was 6 months old.

We had seen her sucking her thumb in the womb and she was DETERMINED to continue sucking it after birth. {She is slightly strong-willed and stubborn~~just like her Daddy:)} So, because it was part who she was as an infant, I wanted a picture of her sucking her thumb.

Of course, do you think the little stinker sweety-pie would cooperate when we had a photographer standing in front of us, ready to snap the picture?

So I did what every good mother does...

I put candy on her thumb!!

Hey, anything to get the shot :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast forward 5 years...

Right after starting Kindergarten, the thumb sucking ended quickly~~ with the application of Hoof Hands.

Unfortunately, the bad habit has reappeared in the last few months.

And it's not so cute at 5!

Whenever she is watching a DVD or sleeping, the thumb is in her mouth:(

On the way to Bible study last week, I heard the sound of her contently sucking on her thumb.

"Emma, GET YOUR THUMB OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!!"

"How do you KNOW when I have it in my mouth?"

"I am a mommy, I just know!"


"But is so hard! It is sooo yummy!"

I was very thankful I was in the front seat so she could not see me laughing:)

To recap:

6MONTHS= CUTE

ALMOST 6 YEARS= NOT CUTE
PROTECTING THE THUMB FROM MOMMY:)

For more wordless and wordful wednesday post visit:

SevEn cLoWn CirCuS

Ordinary and Awesome

26 comments:

  1. I never had thumb suckers - but I agree - I always think it is so cute to see on little babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man...I have a thumb sucker too! Let me know what works! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She actually looks very thoughtful in the first photo, even while sucking her thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine sucks her fingers not her thumb. She looks super cute - lol. Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww that was so me at that age! i got my first boyfriend in 1st grade and my mommy told me i could suck my thumb and have a boyfriend. i quit that night...lol.

    my ww:
    http://www.mcclurefamilyspace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious! I think I still naw on the end of my thumb when I am very sick or exhausted. I am 43! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww she'll grow out of it. That baby picture is soooooo adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luckily, none of my girls sucked their thumbs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oldest daughter used to suck her thumb when she was tired too! I don't remember exactly, but I think she totally stopped around 4 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son was a thumb sucker too. Then one day I just noticed he wasnt doing it anymore. Hopefully she will stop on her own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwwwwww! None of my boys were thumb suckers so I have no words of wisdom for you!

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny. I didn't have thumb suckers, but we had one with a pacifier that really didn't want to give it up. Finally one day we accidentally threw it away at a restaurant (it really was an accident), but we decided it was time. The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My almost-5yo is also a thumb sucker, but only at bedtime. Cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of my brothers were devoted thumbsuckers! And can you believe it--in all eight of my kids, I've not had a thumbsucker yet!

    Darling pics--even the contraband thumb!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both pictures are cute! What a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute, though -even at 5! None of my sucked thumbs - they sucked pacifiers,

    s

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is adorable, thumb-sucking or not! Timothy is a thumb sucker, my Emma never was. Both never like a pacifier. T is 4 and I have noticed it has become infrequent now. He usually only sucked his thumb when he was rubbing the tags on his Taggie blanket. May have outgrown thumb sucking but Taggie might be going to college with him!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL that is too funny! my boys sucked their thumbs for about a month and they stopped on their own. Neither one would use a pacifier

    ReplyDelete
  19. My children did not suck their thumbs but remember how hard it was for my aunt to break my cousin from the habit good luck

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh, thats such a hard habit to break, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is still cute when they turn 13 you wish they would stick their thumb in their mouth instead of talk back cherish it now

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank goodness no thumbsuckers here.. it is cute though on the wee ones but not so much the older ones...

    ReplyDelete