Monday, June 01, 2009

just another manic monday...

Actually it wasn't manic at all...

but I needed a title!

Tuesdays and Thursdays are actually the maniac days in this household.

I have classes at 3:15. Michaela does not get off the bus until 2:55. My classes are in Cincinnati. I live in Northern Kentucky. That is a 23 mile trip that cannot be made in 20 minutes!

So sometimes I am late.

Which is fine. I spoke with the instructor about it. I am keeping up with the work. NO problems.

But some days I do not want to be late.

On those days I sign Michaela out early. 15 minutes early. She misses afternoon announcements and dismissal to lockers. Nothing of educational benefit is missed.

Unfortunately there is a lady in the office that gives her a hard time every time she takes a note in to get an early dismissal pass. I just put "personal family commitment/appointment" on the note. The school does not need to know any more than that. This secretary is mean and hateful to Michaela every time. Yet never says anything to me about it when I go in to sign her out.


Is a nasty disposition a requirement for working in the school office?

On Thursday I had a Chemistry test and Algebra quiz that I did not want to be late for. I wrote a note and included "If you have any concerns or questions about this early dismissal please contact me." I did not hear from the school so I figured everything went well.

When I picked Michaela up I asked if there had been any problems and she said no. I dropped the girls off at home and went on to school.

Fast forward to Friday afternoon....

I am walking by the entryway table and I see Michaela's dismissal pass lying on it.

I pick it up to throw it away.

As I am walking to the kitchen my heart skips a beat..

written in the 'reason' section were the words eye appointment.

I was furious~~I wanted to go up to the school right then and pull her out of class.

I was saddened~~how could my daughter have lied to avoid confrontation.

Lying and not taking responsibility for your actions and decisions are two of my biggest pet peeves.

I knew this was going to have to be nipped in the bud now.

She came home. I confronted her. She confessed to having lied. We talked about how disappointing her actions were. She said she had already made it right with God and that she was very sorry.

And then the words that caused HER heart to skip a beat,

"On Monday you are going into the office and telling the secretary that you lied to her and that you are sorry."

Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul. {Proverbs 29:1}

With eyes the size of saucers she accepted her Christian obligation.

And if your brother does wrong to you, go, make clear to him his error between you and him in private... {Matthew 18:15}

And I am proud to say that my 12 year old daughter did what most adults will not do. She went in and admitted her sin and apologized for lying.

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." {I Timothy 4:12}

I pray this lesson will stay with her...

She learned that lying is often easier than dealing with the consequences of the truth, but that the consequences of lying weigh heavy on the heart of one trying to follow the ways of God.

I learned that she is a strong young lady. She will make mistakes~~as we all do~~but her heart is honest and that she is meek and pure in her walk with God.