Wednesday, March 04, 2009

wordless wednesday AND wordful wednesday...

because sometimes words are not necessary....

and sometimes they are.....

wordful wednesday

This is a picture of Michaela on Christmas morning~~~she was 6 (2002).

I can't remember why she was being so silly~~~she was excited about her gifts I suppose!

As soon as I picked up the pictures from the photo lab (before my digital camera days) and saw this picture, I was reminded of a picture I took of my dad Christmas morning in Missouri. (I am not sure of the year~~89 or 90)

This is my dad~~(and I thought I could do this without the tears, but they are already here.) ~acting goofy for the camera!!

I love this picture because it shows his silly side~~the side that those that worshipped where he preached would have never guessed he had

In 1994, at the age of 50, he was told he had bronchitis and two weeks later died from cancer. It has been almost 15 years and my heart still hurts for the loss.

I remember sitting in his room after he came home from the hospital. I was holding his hand while he was in and out of sleep. He woke up to find my crying and said, "Tammy, this is what I have lived my life for." A few hours later he was gone. And my heart has not been the same since.

I would have loved for my girls to have known him, to have gotten to be 'Grandpa's girls'. He and Michaela would have best buds~~a lot of similarities. They would have had the best time making memories with together.

They have missed out on hearing him preach the word of God and seeing his Christian example.

But they have the stories I tell them to 'know' their Grandpa. And I LOVE telling them about him.

***please excuse the quality of the photos! they are pictures of pictures!

9 comments:

  1. Ah, but I think they are necessary. There's a story behind this picture, it would seem. Very nice photo. But what is the "rest of the story?"

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...very sweet!! And you made me cry!! So sorry to hear about your dad....I too lost my mom to cancer at age 52 and not that heartbroken feeling!! CANCER SUCKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, I have always sensed that you are hurting more than you let on. Thank you for sharing this great story and the pictures to go with it. It is so adorable the see the orneriness show through Michaela. And we know the silliness didn't skip a generation so where's your silly picture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly pictures and memories are what we cling to. My sweet husband passed away from colon cancer almost 4 months ago, he was 35. I cherish all the pictures good and bad. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure the pain ever goes away. But there is comfort in the fact that memories live on through your kids. My Wordless Wed. is my grandfather and my mom. He passed away 22 years ago but I still have fresh tears for him. My Emma is named in memory of him.

    I have some silly pictures of Tammy from long ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which shall remain packed away...hidden! Won't they Mel!!!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, now I will go and wash my face because you know i didn't get through this one without tears...There is so much of him in you that you do not realize. I loved him and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe if you post a recent picture of yourself, I will keep the old ones from reaching the scanner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's with tears in my eyes that I thank you for your Wordful yesterday. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to lose your father so quickly to cancer.

    ReplyDelete